Translate

Monday, May 2, 2016

Stew Chicken (Trini Style)

In Trinidad, stew chicken is made weekly in most households.  It goes with almost anything; rice, callaloo, macaroni pie or ground provisions. I bet you can’t spot a Trini who does not like stew chicken. 
Unfortunately not everyone can make this dish, the secret is in the browning aspect of the process and the herbs you put into the stew. For me, it’s the unique flavour of the chadon beni that makes my pot.

So try this recipe, I guarantee you won’t be disappointed!

Ingredients


·         1 chicken (2 -3 lbs), cut up in serving pieces
·        3 cloves garlic 
·         1 medium onion
·         1 sprig chive
·         1 medium sweet pepper
·         2 sprigs fine leaf thyme
·         3 chadon beni leaves
·         2 pimento/seasoning peppers
·         2 tsp Swiss tomato ketchup 
·         2 tbsp. vegetable oil
·         3 tbsp. brown sugar
·         salt (to taste)
·         hot pepper (optional)
·         1 pack Maggi chicken seasoning
·         1 lime
·         water

Preparation
  1. Clean meat and season  with magi seasoning and lime.  Leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
  2. Chop garlic, onion, sweet pepper, chive, thyme, seasoning peppers and chadon beni and set aside.
  3. Place a deep heavy pot on a medium fire and add oil.  When oil is hot, add sugar and observe until it is nice and golden brown.
  4. Add the seasoned meat and about 1/4 cup of water.
  5. Turn mixture until the meat is nice and coated.
  6. Cover the pot and let simmer for about 5 -10 minutes. Pay attention to pot to avoid burning meat.
  7. Turn chicken and add 1 1/2 cups of water to just cover the chicken. Let cook for about 25 minutes.
  8. Add salt to taste, pepper (optional), chopped herbs and tomato ketchup.
  9. Cook for another 10 minutes or until the meat is tender.
Note: Use pre-cut chicken parts if you're like me and don't enjoy cutting up a whole chicken.

Serve hot with peas, callaloo, rice or macaroni pie. The combinations are endless!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy! I will try this recipe at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tried making stew chicken so many times and I always ruin it. It's either I completely burn the sugar or I dont get it dark enough...no matter when i add the meat. How do you know when it's the perfect time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. After I brown my sugar I does put a small piece of golden ray before I chunkay the chicken.

    ReplyDelete